Acupuncture for Infertility
Infertility, which is defined as the failure of a couple to become pregnant after 12 months or more of sexual intercourse without the use of contraceptives, is becoming an increasingly commonplace problem in the United States. Factors of modern living such as more advanced maternal age, high stress, and unprecedented levels of environmental toxins all contribute to the statistic of approximately 7.3 million women in the U.S. experiencing some form of infertility.
While the stresses of daily living can adversely affect fertility, acupuncture and Chinese Medicine can help restore it by influencing the reproductive and endocrine systems of the body. In women, the reproductive cycle is made up of various phases that each play an important role in overall fertility. By improving functions of the reproductive organs and endocrine system and addressing any imbalances in these phases, acupuncture can help create a more ideal environment for conception and a successful pregnancy. In men, environmental and constitutional factors can contribute to lower sperm quality, and acupuncture can help address those factors and improve sperm quality. Specifically, acupuncture can help a couple achieve a successful pregnancy by:
- Improving blood flow to the reproductive organs, such as the uterus and ovaries
- Increasing the thickness of the uterine lining
- Normalizing levels of and improving responsiveness to reproductive hormones
- Promoting deep relaxation and decreasing the negative effects of stress, which can be a huge hindrance to fertility
- Regulating menstrual cycles and ovulation
- Helping to address gynecological issues such as PCOS, edometriosis, and fibroids, which can negatively affect fertility
- Helping to address thyroid problems, which can contribute to infertility
- Increasing the success rate of IVF by boosting the number of follicles produced, improving the quality of the uterine lining, and encouraging implantation
- Addressing male factor infertility by improving sperm count, sperm motility, and sperm morphology
As the reasons for infertility problems vary from individual to individual, so too will the treatments. Our Dr. O’Connor is experienced and has an 85% success rate when it comes to treating fertility issues. She will carefully go over a patient's health history to uncover contributing factors to infertility from a holistic Chinese Medicine perspective and come up with a highly customized treatment plan to address each person's unique fertility issues. In addition to acupuncture, the use of herbal therapy, meditation/energy breathwork, and diet/lifestyle changes may be incorporated into a patient's treatment plan to promote optimal fetility. Call us today for a consultation.